The water system in Kalispell began in 1892. City Council granted rights-of-ways and easements for a private water company to start supplying water to residents of Kalispell. By December 1, 1913, Council decided to take over the private system and manage as a City. At that time there was approximately 21.5 miles of water, 225 fire hydrants and they used an average of 1.6MG per day. In comparison, today we have 158 miles of water main, 1,700 fire hydrants, and use a daily average of almost 4MG. Happy 110th birthday to the Kalispell Water System!
These photos were taken from the appraisal document from 1913, that determined the worth of the system for the sale to the city.