What are points and what is this ticket going to do to my driving record or my insurance rates?

The Montana Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) assigns points to convictions for traffic offenses. Municipal Court is required to report all convictions to the DMV. On receipt of notice that an individual has a conviction, the DMV will place points on your record. If you accumulate too many points on your record, you could lose your driving privileges.

Each insurance company has different methods of determining your insurance rates. Many base some rate changes on the points the DMV places on your driving record.

You can check your driver’s license status with the DMV to find out how many points you have with the DMV [https://dojmt.gov/driving/driving-records/].

Some of the more common points include:
DUI    = 10 points
Driving While Suspended = 6 points
Reckless Driving = 5 points
No Insurance = 4 points
Speeding = 3 points
Careless Driving = 2 points
Moving Violations = 2 points

Show All Answers

1. When is my court date?
2. How do I get a refund on my cash bond?
3. There is a warrant out for my arrest, what do I do?
4. Where do I go if I have a ticket from the Montana Highway Patrol or Flathead County Sheriff's Department?
5. Can I always just pay the fine no matter what the charge?
6. How can I get my conviction expunged or removed from my record?
7. What are points and what is this ticket going to do to my driving record or my insurance rates?
8. How do I get my ticket dismissed?
9. I can’t afford an attorney and don’t qualify for a public defender, can I represent myself?
10. I'm supposed to appear in court today, but I can't make it. Do I have to appear?
11. The judge ordered restitution to me. When will I get that money?
12. What are the court's surcharges used for?
13. How do I get my scheduled court hearing moved to a different date?
14. How do I request restitution (as a victim)?
15. What do I need to bring to court?
16. How do I get a conviction off my record?