I can’t afford an attorney and don’t qualify for a public defender, can I represent myself?

Many people represent themselves and many people do so successfully. Please visit our Self Help section for information on hearings and trials as well as some forms you may find helpful. 
However, if you are charged with something that may involve a jail sentence, you should consider this option carefully. There can be risks associated with self-representation and you should be aware that some offenses in Municipal Court can have unexpected long term consequences on gun rights or driving privileges. The Court will try to answer any procedural questions you have during the process, but the Court cannot tell you how to proceed nor can it give you any legal advice. You will be expected to conduct yourself appropriately and understand the basic rules of evidence and procedure.

Show All Answers

1. When is my court date?
2. How do I get a refund on my cash bond?
3. There is a warrant out for my arrest, what do I do?
4. Where do I go if I have a ticket from the Montana Highway Patrol or Flathead County Sheriff's Department?
5. Can I always just pay the fine no matter what the charge?
6. How can I get my conviction expunged or removed from my record?
7. What are points and what is this ticket going to do to my driving record or my insurance rates?
8. How do I get my ticket dismissed?
9. I can’t afford an attorney and don’t qualify for a public defender, can I represent myself?
10. I'm supposed to appear in court today, but I can't make it. Do I have to appear?
11. The judge ordered restitution to me. When will I get that money?
12. What are the court's surcharges used for?
13. How do I get my scheduled court hearing moved to a different date?
14. How do I request restitution (as a victim)?
15. What do I need to bring to court?
16. How do I get a conviction off my record?